Pinot Noir is one of the UK’s most popular red wines. Silky, fruit-forward and food-friendly, this comes as no surprise.
What may come as a surprise to many is that Germany is the world’s third largest producer of Pinot Noir, and with thirteen wine regions in Germany there is an exciting and diverse range of styles being produced.
Whilst fresh and fruity styles still abound, climatic changes are leading to longer and warmer autumns, and winemakers are producing fuller-profiled and more powerful Pinots.
Below is a selection of 7 Pinot Noirs under £25 from various regions of Germany that reflect the high quality, great value and diverse style of German reds currently available in the UK.
- Taste the Difference Pinot Noir 2017 – Rheinhessen – £8 Sainsbury’s
- Petri Pinot Noir 2017 – Pfalz – £12.50 Lea & Sandeman
- Lenné Pinot Noir 2016 – Pfalz – £12.99 Virgin Wines
- Louis Guntrum Pinot Noir 2017 – Rheinhessen – £13.99 Waitrose
- Schloss Schönborn Spätburgunder 2018 – Rheingau – £14.95 Corney & Barrow
- Andreas Bender Pinot Noir 2017 – Pfalz – £18 Highbury Vintners
- Klumpp Bruchsaler Weiherberg Pinot Noir 2015 – Baden – £24.25 Yapp Brothers