A fresh Thai curry – sauce made with green Thai paste, kaffir lime leaves. Fresh basil, coriander and coconut milk.
1kg pork shoulder
2 shallot, very finely chopped
1 tbsp. smoked paprika
2 tsp English mustard powder
200g BBQ sauce
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp soft brown sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup
For the coleslaw
300g red cabbage, finely shredded
100g carrots, grated
1 red onion, finely sliced
4 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp Dijon mustard
salt and ground black pepper
12 x 7.5cm brioche or burger buns, sliced
- Place the pork in a roasting tin then combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl and pour over the meat. Cover and set aside in the fridge for at least 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F/Gas 2). Cover the roasting tin with foil and cook in the oven for 4-5 hours. Check every hour that the joint is not drying out and add extra BBQ sauce if necessary.
- After for 4 hours, check to see if the meat is cooked, it should just fall apart. Then remove from the oven and leave to rest before removing any excess fat and ‘pulling’ the pork with 2 forks, shredding the meat into small pieces. Pour the sticky sauce over the meat and stir until combined.
- Meanwhile mix the coleslaw ingredients together in a bowl and season to taste, chill until required.
- Divide the pulled pork between the rolls then top with a serving of coleslaw.
The sauce should be thick and sticky but if you find that it is thin then transfer it to a pan and heat briskly for a couple of minutes until it thickens.
The more in ingredients you add in a recipe, like in this case, the more a wine can struggle. Because of the sweetness of some of the ingredients, you should stick to a riper red wine such as:
Recher Herrenberg Pinot Noir, Jean Stodden, Ahr, 2012 (£42.99, available at ABS Wine Agencies, Bottle Apostle, Eurovines, Wineservice, Winearray, Bentley’s Wine Merchants, Buy Fine Wine)
Thai Green Chicken Curry with Sticky Rice
Rustic Berry Tarts with Mascarpone Cream
Mixed berries served in an open sweet shortcrust pastry pie, sprinkled with demerara sugar.
Rhubarb and Ginger Crème Brûlée
Individual Crème Brûlée with a base of rhubarb and stem ginger topped with brown sugar and caramelised.
Quesadillas with Chicken
A crisp Mexican Quesadillas filled with chicken, red jalapeños and Monterey Jack cheese served with sour cream and fresh tomato salsa.
Fresh Gnocchi with Green pesto and Toasted Pine Nuts
Homemade gnocchi and green pesto with toasted pine nuts.
Goats’ Cheese, Fig and Parma Ham Pizza
A homemade pizza topped with roasted figs, goats cheese and Parma ham.